Last season's shoes quickly becomes this season's clutter, so now’s the time to think about a shoe storage plan. Storing shoes not only keeps the house clean and organized, but gives the peace of mind that come next season, those favorite pairs won’t be compromised or squished out of shape. Our shoes are an investment (often a costly one) in our personal style and comfort, so it's important to set them aside with care. Here’s some tips on how to sort and store shoes so you’re all ready to go next season:
1. Identify what shoes you need to get rid of. Did any cause you to have blisters or discomfort? Is the shoe broken down enough to compromise support? Are materials beyond repair? Remember, if you bought your shoes from Schuler Shoes and experienced discomfort or found they broke down in an unreasonable time frame, please bring them into any of our ten locations. We take a strong stance on our Return Philosophy and will take care of you by finding shoes that work for you.
2. Repair and clean shoes worth keeping. If need be, visit a local repair shop. The nooks and crannies of your rubber soles can be scrubbed out with an old toothbrush and some soapy water. Leather can be refreshed and polished with a balm, while other materials such as suede and nubuck can be cleaned with a stain eraser or a soft brush and neutral cleaner. Cork-based footbeds should receive a fresh coat of Cork Life around the outside to keep them from drying out and crumbling, and Velcro can often be revived if you pick out debris. The Schuler Shoes staff can also help with any specific shoe repair or cleaning questions.
3. Eliminate shoe odor. Check out our 11 tips.
4. Choose a storage option that works best for your space. Boxes will help keep out dust and bugs, and clear plastics will make it easy to see your shoes when you switch them back next spring. Some options are:
Clear Storage Bins
Drop Front Shoe Boxes
Over-the-Door Shoe Organizer
DIY Storage Solutions
5. Add sachets to storage to keep odors to a minimum and shoetrees for shoes that need help retaining their shape.
6. Recycle or donate the shoes you’ve decided to say goodbye to this season. Local program Shoe Away from Hunger is focused on fighting hunger in our communities. Recycled shoes provide funds that are used to purchase nutritious food for those in need. For every pair of shoes we collect, we are able to feed another hungry person with up to seven days of essential groceries. Shoes that can't be resold are ground and reused in an eco-friendly manner. Drop off your donations at any Schuler Shoes location.
7. Get this season's shoes ready. Now that you've packed up last season, repeat steps 1 and 2 as needed.
How do you store your shoes for the season?